Wollondilly Tourism : Living History in the Wollondilly Shire :

Wollondilly Tourism
Wollondilly Tourism
Wollondilly Tourism
Like us on Facebook
HOME     VISITOR CENTRE      ATTRACTIONS      DINING      ACCOMMODATION     EVENTS      NATURE      TOWNS      HISTORY     CONTACT
Visitor Information Centre
Attractions
Dining
Accommodation
Events
Nature
Towns
Weddings in Wollondilly
Health and Fitness in Wollondilly
Community and Service Clubs in Wollondilly
Living and Working in Wollondilly
Living History in the Wollondilly Shire

Heritage Express

Rail Heritage Central Main Concourse, Central Station Sydney
Phone : 02 9379 1110  Fax : 02 9379 1063
Email  Website

Heritage Express

All Aboard! Since 1962, we've taken active exhibits from the Rail Heritage Centre™ collection on tour — all over the State's tracks — thrilling and entertaining our guests with experiences from the Golden Age of Train Travel. Join us for a day trip aboard a steam train, a luxury weekend adventure, a moving dining experience, or come to one of our special events...

Historic Menangle Walking Tours

Menangle Village Precinct
Website

Historic Menangle Walking Tours

Self guided historic tours around the Menangle General Store.

For a copy of the 7 page self guided Menangle Walking Tours; pick up your free copy at the Menangle General Store.

You can request a copy through the website www.menangle.com.au

You can also call into the Visitor Information Centre in Picton or phone them for a copy to be sent to you (02) 4677 8313

Historic Picton Walking Tour self guided

Cnr Argyle & Menangle Sts Picton
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email  Website  Location Map

Historic Picton Walking Tour  self guided

Available at the Wollondilly Visitor Information Centre is a ?self guided? Historic Picton Walking Tour brochure, with details on many of the historic sites to be found in Picton. The guide includes a map of Picton with most of the historic sites just a short walk from the Visitor Centre including:

* Old Picton Post Office

* St Marks Church of England

* National Australia Bank

* George 4th Inn

* Redbank Range Tunnel ( Mushroom Tunnel)

* The Toll House

* Victoria Bridge

* Railway Precinct

* Feather & Fur Factory

* The Viaduct

& many more. For your copy ring 46778313 or click the Contact button to email us.

Jarvisfield Antill Park Golf Club Picton

Jarvisfield Road (Off Remembrance Drive), Jarvisfield
Phone : (02) 4677 1512  Fax : (02) 4677 2730
Email  Website  Location Map

Jarvisfield  Antill Park Golf Club  Picton

Enjoy this beautiful Par 70 golf course and relax in the original 1863 homestead of John Macquarie Antill and enjoy a drink at the bar or lunch in the bistro.

Historic Clubhouse & Bistro

Par 70 Golf Course

Corporate & Private Functions Catered For

Pro Shop

Motorised Covered Golf Buggies

(book to avoid disappointment)

K9 Memorial, Tahmoor

Emmett Park, Tahmoor

K9 Memorial, Tahmoor

The K9 Memorial, Tahmoor, NSW, Australia is dedicated to all police dogs killed in the line of duty. K9 Titan and K9 Carts (brothers) were the first police dogs in NSW to be killed by offenders.

Others killed were K9 Boss, K9 Sam and K9 Fidel. The reclining bronze dog represents peace, yet still alert, a guardian ever vigilant and waiting for its master.

The K9 Memorial is situated in Emmett Park Tahmoor NSW along with a new children's playground, BBQ & toilets. An unlikely tourist attraction, but one many interested parties will seek out.

Mowbray Park Picton

745 Barkers Lodge Road, Lakesland via Picton
Phone : (02) 4680 9243  Fax : (02) 4680 9224
Email  Website  Location Map

Mowbray Park  Picton

Experience real Australia at Mowbray Park Farmstay, situated in the foothills of the Southern Highlands,1 hour from Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Pacific Ocean and 2 hours from Canberra ACT. It brings together the best of 'life on the farm' with Australian country hospitality.

Steeped in history the magnificent 1822 property is only 80 minutes drive from Sydney Airport NSW and is surrounded by rolling hills, towering trees, picturesque farmland and natural unspoilt bush.

Family owned and operated, Mowbray Park is a working farm and guesthouse where you can experience all aspects of country life in a relaxed setting with all the comforts you would expect.

At Mowbray Park guests can choose from classic Country Lodges, the deluxe ensuite rooms of the main Homestead or the colonial warmth of Majellan Lodge with its wide sweeping views and ensuite guest rooms.

National Australia Bank Picton

Cnr Argyle & Menangle St, Picton
Email  Location Map

National Australia Bank  Picton

This bank was previously known as the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Limited and is a fine example of period architecture erected in 1885. The Picton & District Historical Society restored the original coachhouse / barn in the rear in 1991. The bank is now closed for business.

NSW Rail Transport Museum

10 Barbour Rd Thirlmere 2572
Phone : (02) 4681 8001  Fax : (02) 4681 8410
Email  Website

Every day is a special day at NSW Rail Transport Museum at Trainworks - Australia's oldest and largest railway museum - a fascinating and exciting step back in time:

Nostalgia for older visitors, and a novel and educational experience for children of all ages.

The most complete overview of railway heritage to be found in Australia.

A large collection of locomotives, carriages and goods wagons on display.

A comprehensive exhibition of railway items and memorabilia, interactive displays, an authentic fettler's shed, a heritage-listed 1880s railway station, 1891 Station Master's cottage and the Roundhouse.

Grassed and under-cover picnic and barbecue facilities, and children's play areas.

Heritage Trains operate on the Thirlmere Heritage Railway on Sundays. Trains are steam-hauled from March to November.

Kiosk selling refreshments and souvenirs.

Guided tours available for groups by appointment.

Coaches and groups, social clubs, seniors and school groups times are welcome - phone (02) 4681 8001 for our concession rates & packages.

Old Post Office Picton

Cnr Argyle & Menangle St, Picton
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email  Website  Location Map

Old Post Office  Picton

The Old Picton Post Office was completed in July 1892 and operated as the Post Office until 1994. It currently houses the Wollondilly Visitor Information Centre.

The Wollondilly Visitor Centre is open 7 days, 9am - 5pm.

The Visitor Centre can provide you with Historic walking and driving tour guides and maps. Contact us and we will send you a full kit to ensure you don't miss any of the hidden treasures.

Past Time Tours

n/a
Phone : (02) 9686 6861  Fax : (02) 9686 6861  Mobile : 0408 234 002
Email  Website  Location Map

Past Time Tours

Registered guide conducting variety of coach and walking tours in the Wollondilly area

Picton and District Historical & Family History Society Inc

PO Box 64, Picton
Phone : (02) 4684 2179
Email  Website  Location Map

Picton and District Historical & Family History Society Inc

The Picton and District Historical and Family History Society are located in the library of Wollondilly Shire Council Picton. Open for research on Thursdays 10am to 3pm, and every second and fourth Saturday 10am to 12pm.

Become a member: Meetings are held on the 1st Saturday of each month at 9.30am on the 2nd Floor of the Wollondilly Library, Menangle St, Picton.

Railway Precinct Picton

Station, Prince and Webster Sts, Picton.
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email  Location Map

Railway Precinct  Picton

Pick up a copy of the Historic Picton Walking Tour brochure to discover the Rail Heritage Precinct which includes:

Stationmasters Residence (private residence)

Railway Station

Jarvisfield Store ( commercially tenanted)

Imperial Hotel

Victoria Bridge ( walking platform)

The Viaduct

The Old Creamery ( private residence)

The Cheese Factory ( Vabys Restaurant)

Tahmoor House

27 Remembrance Drive Tahmoor 2573
Location Map

Tahmoor House

Tahmoor House (co.1824)

THIS IS NOW A PRIVATE RESIDENCE NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

The land on which Tahmoor House stands forms part of Portion 203 granted to Edward Doyle by Crown Grant dated 1st November 1822. Doyle who was transported from Ireland in 1806 occupied the land prior to that date

Tahmoor house is now listed by The National Trust and heritage listed by Wollondilly Shire and was named The Travellers Inn and a Cobb and Co coaching station and has been host to many famous visitors in its 188 year history.

Some famous visitors have been through the doors of this old coaching inn.

1824 Hume & Hovell, the famous explorers, stayed overnight on their expedition to Port Phillip Victoria.

1829 Margaret Hush ran the inn until 1835 and her husband, indentured as a convict labourer to John Oxley, gained favour with his overseer and was given his freedom thanks to Margaret's persistance. John Oxley most definitely would have been a visitor.

1855 Famous author Will Lawson wrote his book, Dan Morgan Rides, that bushranger Dan Morgan's wife Annie, born in Appin was a barmaid at the old inn and that Dan himself drank here.

1929 James Scullin, Prime Minister stopped here regularly, as it was his favourite port of call when it was being run as a boarding house and tearooms run by owner John Sanderson.

1993 Don Burke stopped in to film the gardens for Burke's Backyard when there was five acres of landscaped gardens down to the creek.

The Oaks Historical Society inc

43 Edward St, The Oaks
Phone : (02) 4657 1796  Fax : (02) 4657 1796
Email  Website

Historical Society and Museum featuring exhibits of mining, farming, and an old School room

The Store @ Menangle

Finns Rd Menangle
Phone : 4633 8101  Fax : 4633 8686

Thirlmere Station Masters Cottage

2 Oaks St, Thirlmere
Email  Location Map

Thirlmere Station Masters Cottage

This heritage site is now the private offices of Trainworks.

NO PUBLIC ACCESS

Trainworks

10 Barbour Rd, Thirlmere
Phone : 02 4681 8001  Fax : 02 4681 8410
Email  Website  Location Map

Trainworks

Home to Australia's largest collection of working and static rolling stock and a vast display of objects, artefacts and memorabilia, Trainworks tells the story of New South Wales' rail history.

Since 1975 the Thirlmere site has been home to a significant collection of rail heritage items and with the upgrade of facilities and recent opening of the new exhibition building, it is now a major regional tourist attraction.

Experience a real steam or vintage diesel train rides - visit our website www.trainworks.com.au for current timetable.

There is plenty to do at Trainworks

Hear the hustle and bustle, puff and chug of a steam-era train station

Climb into the cab of a locomotive

Enjoy the sound and light show that tells the story of loco 1021

Explore inside some of our special-purpose carriages such as the mail van, sleeping and dining cars

Feel what it was like for prisoners inside the prison van with our interactive display

Meet some of our heroes and legends in the Great Train Hall

Marvel at elegant engineering and craftsmanship

Learn about some of the most interesting jobs on the railways

Operate the Steam Machine to learn how steam power works

View behind-the-scenes maintenance and conservation of the heritage fleet by staff and volunteers as work on a variety of locomotives and carriages

Run, jump, spin and climb in our playground

Wollondilly Heritage Centre

43 Edward Street, The Oaks
Phone : (02) 4657 1796  Fax : (02) 4657 1796
Email  Website  Location Map

Wollondilly Heritage Centre

The Wollondilly Heritage Centre caters for -

Groups: Home cooked morning or afternoon tea for pre-booked groups on our sheltered veranda. A BBQ area for your own cooking.

For Schools: Special activities for Primary Students with our ?Hands-on-History education programme. Kids activities and gifts.

For Everyone: Family History archives. Microfiche and Microfilm and Videos. Library and Local History publications. Museum Shop and Community displays.

Disable Access. Car and Coach parking.

The Wollondilly Heritage Centre, was built from 1988 on one acre of land donated by Wollondilly Shire Council. Run by volunteers from The Oaks Historical Society,

The museum is to the right (east) of Harold Noake's Reserve at 43 Edward St The Oaks.

The complex contains archives, photos and exhibitions about the local history of The Oaks, Burragorang & Wollondilly.

Open Saturday, Sunday and public holidays 10am - 4pm

Closed Good Friday and from Christmas till Australia day on 26 January

Appin School Masters Residence

Appin Primary School, Appin Road, Appin
Location Map

Appin School Masters Residence

This solid, neat stone building set back from the road dates back to 1867. It was built both as a school and as a teacher?s residence, and was the first school built after Henry Parks? 1866 public school act. Miss Larkin, daughter of Edward Larkin, laid the foundation stone.

Avon Dam Bargo

Avon Dam Rd, Bargo
Phone : (02) 4725 2100  Fax : (02) 4732 3666
Email  Website  Location Map

Avon Dam  Bargo

Work on Avon Dam began in 1921 and was completed in 1927 at a cost of around $6.3 million. It was strengthened in 1971 at a cost of $3.8 million by buttressing its downstream face with a rock fill embankment.

Height: 72 metres

Length: 223 metres

Total capacity: 214,360 mega litres

Catchment: 142 square kilometres

Lake: 10.5 square kilometres

Facilities at the dam include Electric BBQs, Playground, Toilets, Drinking Water, Viewing Area, and Picnic Shelters.

Open 7 days 10am - 4pm

Broughtons Pass - Appin

Wilton Rd, Wilton
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email  Location Map

Broughtons Pass - Appin

Broughtons Pass offers a photographic opportunity only. On your scenic drive to Appin you will pass through this historic crossing of the Cataract River.

Please note this site is restricted and at no time is it appropriate to stop on the bridge itself nor the surrounding area, so make sure you've got your camera ready for a quick picture out the window of your vehicle.

Burragorang Lookout at Nattai

Burragorang Rd, Nattai
Phone : (02) 4677 0859  Fax : (02) 4677 0854
Email  Website  Location Map

Burragorang Lookout at Nattai

Breathtaking views of Lake Burragorang. Facilities provided include tables, BBQs, playground equipment and toilets. Open 7 days:

9am till 5pm. $3 entry applies.

Cataract Dam at Appin

Baden Powell Drive (off Appin-Bulli Road)
Phone : (02) 4640 1200  Fax : (02) 4732 3666
Email  Website  Location Map

Cataract Dam at Appin

Cataract Dam is located on the Cataract River, a tributary of the Nepean River, just below the junction with the Loddon River. The dam was completed in 1907 and cost about $1.3 million.

Height: 56 metres

Length: 247 metres

Total Capacity: 94,300 mega litres

Catchment: 130 square kilometres

Lake: 8.5 square kilometres

Facilities at the dam include

Electric BBQs, Playground, Toilets, Drinking Water, Viewing Area, and Picnic Shelters.

Cordeaux Dam at Wilton

Picton Rd, Wilton
Phone : (02) 4640 1200  Fax : (02) 4732 3666
Email  Website  Location Map

Cordeaux Dam at Wilton

Construction began in 1918 and was completed in1926 at a cost of about $2.5 million. Cordeaux was upgraded in 1988 at a cost of $3 million with a system of drains in the wall and foundations.

Height: 57 metres

Length: 405 metres

Total capacity: 93,640 mega litres

Catchment: 91 square kilometres

Lake: 7.8 square kilometres

Facilities at the dam include Electric BBQs, Playground, Toilets, Drinking Water, Viewing Area, and Picnic Shelters.

Craigend at The Oaks

Edward St, The Oaks
Phone : (02) 4657 1796  Fax : (02) 4657 1796
Email  Website  Location Map

Craigend at The Oaks

Craigend was a Crown grant to Thomas Inglis in 1833 and was built on the ridge west of the road. Thomas Inglis and his wife Catherine, nee Ross, arrived in 1830 and he was employed as Manager of the Australian Mercantile Company. They moved to The Oaks in 1837 and became farmers and auctioneers. Iron oxide is found on this property and was once used by local Aboriginal people to paint their bodies for corroboree as well as in the later manufacture of paint.

Hume & Hovell Monument at Appin

Appin Rd, Appin
Location Map

Hume & Hovell Monument at Appin

Approximately 5 mins drive along Appin Road towards Campbelltown you can see the Hume & Hovell Monument. This stone monument was erected in 1924 to commemorate 100 years since the explorers Hume & Hovell set out on their exploratory journey to Port Phillip in Victoria.

Maldon Suspension Bridge at Picton

Maldon Bridge Rd, Maldon via Picton
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email  Location Map

Maldon Suspension Bridge at Picton

Spanning the picturesque Nepean Gorge, the Maldon Suspension Bridge is one of only a few true suspension bridges in New South Wales. It was built in 1903 to replace Harvey?s Crossing; a stone causeway situated a couple of hundred metres upstream.

The Maldon bridge differs from the normal suspension bridge in that the main cables leading from the towers are carried upwards to an anchorage in the sandstone cliffs above the bridge instead of downwards to ground level. It also has unique curved timber approaches. A bushfire in January 1939 severely damaged the bridge and the original timber towers were replaced with identical steel ones. Maldon Suspension Bridge was closed to vehicle traffic with the opening of the F5 Freeway and the new Picton Road from Wilton in 1980.

The Maldon Suspension Bridge is closed to the public but can be viewed from a distance on Maldon Bridge Rd.

Nepean Dam at Bargo

Avon Dam Rd, Bargo
Phone : (02) 4640 1200  Fax : (02) 4732 3666
Email  Website  Location Map

Nepean Dam at Bargo

Work on Nepean Dam started in 1925. It was interrupted for a few years by the Depression but resumed in 1933. The dam was finally completed in 1935 and cost about $12.3 million.

Height: 82 metres

Length: 216 metres

Total capacity: 70,170 mega litres

Catchment: 320 square kilometres

Lake: 3.3 square kilometres

Facilities at the dam include Electric BBQs, Playground, Toilets, Drinking Water, Viewing Area, and Picnic Shelters.

Picton Courthouse

Argyle Street, Picton
Location Map

Picton Courthouse

Was built in 1864 partly from sandstone blocks from the original goal near St. Mark?s Anglican Church. Much of the original interior woodwork remains. Windows and ceilings are of interest, as is the Magistrates Chamber.

Pumphouse at Thirlmere Lakes National Park

Slades Rd, Thirlmere
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email  Location Map

Pumphouse at Thirlmere Lakes National Park

Originally on the main rail line south, the Pumphouse supplied water to the steam trains travelling through the area.

Railway Viaduct at Picton

Webster St, Picton
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email  Location Map

Railway Viaduct at Picton

Can be seen from Webster Street or Picton Avenue

Was built by a contractor named Ambrose Crawshaw and work commenced in 1862. The viaduct has five 12.2 metre arches and is 84.1 metres long. Its highest point is 23.8 metres above the creek bed. Construction took several years and it is now the oldest existing stone archway over water in NSW still in use.

Redbank Range Tunnel (Mushroom Tunnel) at Picton

Off Remembrance Drive, Picton
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email  Location Map

Redbank Range Tunnel (Mushroom Tunnel) at Picton

Known also as the Mushroom Tunnel, it was built in the 1860s but became redundant in 1919 with the completion of the present railway line. Before WWII a firm used the tunnel to grow mushrooms but during the War it was taken over by the army for cannon shell storage. After the war, mushrooms were again grown in the tunnel until a fungus grew in the spawn and the business was abandoned.

The Tunnel is currently closed to the general public due to safety concerns and can only be viewed from the outside between 8am - 2pm Monday to Friday.

Saint Marks Church & Pioneer Cemetary at Picton

Menangle Street (west), Picton
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email  Location Map

Saint Marks Church & Pioneer Cemetary at Picton

Saint Marks was designed by Edmund Blacket in 1848. The church foundation stone was laid on 16 July 1850 and completed in 1857. The historic pioneers' graveyard is of interest to visitors and locals.

St Aloysius Church at The Oaks

Merlin St Nth, The Oaks
Phone : (02) 4657 1796  Fax : (02) 4657 1796
Email  Website  Location Map

St Aloysius Church at The Oaks

St. Aloysius Church was built from 1845 and opened by Archdeacon McEnroe. When the Burragorang Valley was flooded, the Stations of the Cross from St. Joseph's Church, Burragorang, were re-located here and R.C. Graves from St. Paulinus & St. Joseph's, Burragorang, were re-located to the adjoining cemetery.

St Bedes Catholic Church at Appin

King Street, Appin
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email  Location Map

St Bedes Catholic Church at Appin

St. Bedes Church was designed by Father Therry in 1837. Inspection of the stonework indicates that different tradesmen built the church in stages. It has a slate roof and iron roofed square tower, which once had a timber belfry. St. Bedes has an inscription carved over the entrance that reads J.P. EPUS A.D. 1841. The cemetery associated with the church has many historic headstones.

St Lukes Anglican Church at The Oaks

Merlin St Nth, The Oaks
Phone : (02) 4657 1796  Fax : (02) 4657 1796
Email  Website  Location Map

St Lukes Anglican Church at The Oaks

St. Lukes Anglican Church was built circa 1892. The widow of John Benton Wild, Emmeline Wild, donated 100 acres of Vanderville for the establishment of a village in 1858. The original Church of England, St. Mathews, was now too far from the village and so St. Lukes was built on a town allotment to service the new village.

St Marks Evangelist Anglican Church at Appin

Church Street Appin
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email  Location Map

St Marks Evangelist Anglican Church at Appin

Erection commenced St. Marks in 1840 and St. Marks was consecrated in 1843. The stone walls are an attractive pale golden colour and the church now has a corrugated iron roof. There is a small cemetery with burials dating from 1840 onwards. Since 1907 the parish has been administered from Campbelltown.

St Marys Towers Monastery

415 Douglas Park Drive, Douglas Park
Phone : (02) 4630 9232  Fax : (02) 4630 9364
Email  Website  Location Map

St Marys Towers Monastery

St Marys Towers is significant because of the well known historical figures who lived there and because of the substantial two-storey Gothic revival country residence which has altered little since the additions designed by Edmund Blacket in the 1860s.

In 1842 Sir Thomas Livingstone Mitchell, Surveyor-General for the colony of New South Wales between 1828 and 1855, laid the foundation stone of his country residence Park Hall. In 1860 Park Hall was purchased by Dr Richard Jenkins and renamed Nepean Towers. Dr Jenkins added a colonnade to the northern and eastern walls of the house. He also added a small chapel. In 1868 one of the visitors to his Nepean Towers property who came by rail and then by carriage across the Douglas Park river crossing was Queen Victorias second son, Prince Alfred, the Duke of Edinburgh. In 1904, ownership was transferred to the Catholic Order known as the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart. They renamed the property St Marys Towers and built a number of new buildings including a substantial stone Apostolic School (now a Retreat Centre), a Church and Novitiate.

Can be viewed by appointment.

St Mathews Anglican Church

Edward St, The Oaks
Phone : (02) 4657 1796  Fax : (02) 4657 1796
Email  Website  Location Map

St Mathews Anglican Church

St. Mathews Anglican Church c.1838/39: Built by the families of John Wild of ?Vanderville? and Major Russell of ?Orthez? for their servants and families, it is constructed of local timber. Archival photos show the church to have been originally L. shaped but it had to be extensively renovated in 1923 due to damage by white ants. The church was renovated again in 1891 by The Oaks Historical Society volunteers. The cemetery contains some interesting headstones, including that of First Fleeter, Henry Kable, and caskets removed from Burragorang Valley before it was flooded for the Warragamba Dam.

Stonequarry Creek Bridge at Picton

Argyle Street, Picton
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email  Location Map

Stonequarry Creek Bridge at Picton

The first bridge was built in 1834 and washed away in the great floods of 1860 and was replaced by a wooden bridge. The current structure was built in 1899 and widened in 1964.

The Convent at The Oaks

Merlin St Nth, The Oaks
Phone : (02) 4657 1796  Fax : (02) 4657 1796
Email  Website  Location Map

The Convent at The Oaks

The Oaks Convent opened in 1906 for the Sisters of St. Joseph. It was designed by Camden builder, G. Furner, and built by local builders, J. Devitt & A. Roberts. Until 1964, the Convent accommodated 14 girls as boarders. Together with day pupils, they were taught in the school house next door and learned music, drama and shorthand in addition to the usual lessons. It closed as a school in 1965 and is now home for the incumbent priest.

The Curates Cottage at The Oaks

Merlin St Nth, The Oaks
Phone : (02) 46571796  Fax : (02) 4657 1796
Email  Website  Location Map

The Curates Cottage at The Oaks

The Curates Cottage was constructed for the visiting Priest or his curate when he visited The Oaks or stopped on his way down to Burragorang Valley. The Oaks district and Burragorang belonged to the Parish of Camden and the Priest usually travelled around his extensive Parish on horseback.

The Hermitage at The Oaks

Edward St, The Oaks
Phone : (02) 4657 1796  Fax : (02) 4657 1796
Email  Website  Location Map

The Hermitage at The Oaks

This sandstone cottage was built by the Rev. Frederick Wilkinson in 1841. Frederick Christian Luther purchased it in 1855 and cultivated vineyards along Waterfall Creek and gardens until it became a show piece. The property had many owners and changed accordingly until it was purchased by David Facer in 1982 and returned to the original cottage by him and his wife. The Hermitage can be viewed from St. Matthews.

The Old Creamery at Mt Hunter

Burragorang Rd, Mt Hunter
Phone : (02) 4657 1796  Fax : (02) 4657 1796
Email  Website  Location Map

The Old Creamery at Mt Hunter

The first Church and school were built at Mount Hunter in 1858. Local dairies joined the nearby Camden Park cooperative and sold their milk to the local Creamery, located near Westbrook Bridge. This was burnt down but re-built in 1902. Dairying declined rapidly during these years and the old Creamery was sold to Ted Lavercombe who moved his wife Annie and family, Ted, Hugh and Clara, across the road after converting it into a house and stables. From here he ran a blacksmith and carrying business, carried on by his sons. The building can be viewed from Burragorang Road.

The Toll House at Picton

Argyle St, Picton
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email  Location Map

The Toll House at Picton

The Toll House was built in 1867 when the railway was extended from Picton to Mittagong. The railway line crossed the road near this point. Besides being the gatekeeper for the railway the gatekeeper also held the position of toll collector. Travellers on the road had to pay a toll up until the 1870s.

Note: This is a private residence, please respect the owners privacy

Tulwah Dowrah at The Oaks

Monpellier Dv, The Oaks
Phone : (02) 4657 1796  Fax : (02) 4657 1796
Email  Website

Tulwah Dowrah at The Oaks

Built by Charles Dunn, 1869 it was their home for two generations. The name is said to be translated as place of the oaks in the local indigenous language. The location is associated with the original cattle holding station which was used by John Wild when he was controlling the wild herds of cattle for the Government. One cattle station was at The Oaks, another at Stonequarry (Picton) and another at Brownlow Hill, with the main one at Cawdor.

Victoria Bridge at Picton

Prince Street, Picton
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email

Victoria Bridge at Picton

Officially opened in 1897 it is 82.3 metres long and is of three spans of 27.4 metres. The hight to the top of the truss is 31.4 metres. It is classified by the National Trust of Australia.

Victoria Park at The Oaks

Montpellier Dv, The Oaks
Phone : (02) 4657 1796  Fax : (02) 4657 1796
Email  Website

Victoria Park at The Oaks

This was a grant to Thomas West in 1834. Thomas came from Barcom Glen and made his fortune by erecting the first water mill in Sydney. His first grant was Ovens Hill near Picton and Victoria Park was used as a grazing lease initially. He named it in 1837, the year of Queen Victorias ascension to the British throne.

Warragamba Dam

Farnsworth Ave, Warragamba
Phone : (02) 4720 0349  Fax : (02) 4732 3666
Email  Website

Warragamba Dam

Completed in 1960, Warragamba Dam holds about four times more water than Sydney Harbour and accounts for about 80% of the regions available water supply.

Height: 142 metres

Length: 351 metres

Thickness at base: 104 metres

Width of central spillway: 94.5 metres

Concrete mass: 3,000,000 tonnes

Width of auxiliary spillway (at mouth): 190 metres

Length of auxiliary spillway: 700 metres

Facilities at the dam include Information Centre, Electric BBQs, Hot Water, Playground, Toilets, Drinking Water, Viewing Area, Kiosk and Picnic Shelters.

Wollondilly Shire Hall at Picton

Menangle Street
Phone : (02) 4677 8313  Fax : (02) 4677 3217
Email

Wollondilly Shire Hall at Picton

Part of this building was originally the Public School (1869 to 1910) before the present school was opened. It was then decided that the school would be a suitable place for a new Chamber, but because of the shortage of funds it was not officially opened until 1915.

The Council now operates from the building next door.

Appin Historical Society inc

Appin arcade 2/76 Appin Road Appin

Appin Hotel

72 Appin Road, Appin

Imperial Hotel at Picton

196 Menangle Street, Picton

Yerranderie Silver Mining Ghost Town

PO Box 420, Milsons Point


back to top

Wollondilly Tourism
HOME     VISITOR CENTRE      ATTRACTIONS      DINING      ACCOMMODATION     EVENTS      NATURE      TOWNS      HISTORY     CONTACT
Wollondilly Tourism
Wollondilly Tourism
This site was developed with support from the following organisations...
Wollondilly Tourism
Illawarra Coal  Visit Macarthur      Wollondilly Shire Council      Macroc        Wollondilly Tourism
Wollondilly Tourism
Wollondilly Tourism